Inscriptions on both sides: Mahmud shah bin ibrahim shah sultani khulidat mamlakatahu / al-khalifa amir al-mu minin khulidat khilafatahu. 19mm, 9.54 grams. Dated to 846 AH =1442 AD. White colour, decent quality billon. "The Coins of the Indian Sultanates" J12; Rajgor 2713.
The City of Jaunpur was founded by Firuz Tughluq in the memory of Muhammad Tughluq who was also known as Juna Khan. Khwaja Jahan (Malik Sarvar), overseer of the area for the Delhi Sultans, declared himself independent in the confusion caused by Timur's invasion. He was succeeded by his adopted son who took the title of Mubarak Shah. Ibrahim Shah, the next king, was a great patron of learning. During his time, the Sharqi style architecture was developed, and the Atala Masjid was completed in 1408. The last ruler, Husain Shah, was defeated by Bahlol Lodi. At the time of Sikandar Lodi, Jaunpur was permanently annexed to the Delhi Sultanate.